Our school is located in the inner-city with easy access to the city and Merri Creek. Our current facilities include a full gym, library and learning spaces that cater for contemporary learning and our diverse curriculum and co-curriculum offerings.
We have access to Merri Park and oval, which is maintained by the City of Darebin. Through various community partnerships, we also share sporting facilities, including being part of the Inner City Netball Program, which is currently constructing outdoor courts.
Our Campus Masterplan was developed in 2017 in consultation with the school community. The plan outlines a number of redevelopment and improvement projects, each addressing different issues and providing benefits to students and staff.
The vision is to create a network of specialist learning hubs linking to gathering places, gardens and recreation areas opening onto Merri Park. Well-designed buildings and revitalised landscapes will cater for diverse activities within and beyond the school.
The Victorian Government is helping us realise this vision by providing funds for a number of new buildings and spaces at the school, and we are pursuing additional funding for these and future projects.
We also rely on our community to realise this masterplan with tax deductible donations to our Northcote Thrive Fund.
There are six proposed stages for the Campus Masterplan:
- Stage 1: New STEM centre and canteen hub
- Stage 2: New library and Student Services hub and hall
- Stage 3: Refurbish main building, liberal arts and administration areas
- Stage 4: New gym and health and wellbeing precinct
- Stage 5: Redesign front of school plaza and realign relocatable classrooms
- Stage 6: Refurbish art and design precinct
Completed in 2017
In 2017, we celebrated the completion of the art and design hub. This hub was funded by $1.5m of locally raised funds through our Building Fund.
The new hub caters for Visual Arts and Product Design, including Media and Visual Communications and Design, as well as Food Technology. A new outdoor area between the two buildings provides additional and much-needed social and learning spaces, and opportunities for exhibitions and performance.
In addition to the art and design hub, the year saw the completion of a number of significant projects in the masterplan, including:
- landscaping, planting and outdoor eating areas upgrades
- arts court development
- new bike parking
- Merri Park South updgrade (playing surface and sprinklers)
- carpet in the main building and the Global Citizens Centre
- painting the Global Citizens Centre and the library
- new furniture for the art and design hub
- new shelves and furniture in the library.
Planned for 2018
The highlight for 2018 is the construction of the Performance Hub. Funded by the Victorian Government ($4.5m) and Northcote High School ($800,000), this new space will accommodate teaching and learning areas for the Music School and Drama and Theatre Studies, plus associated planning and support facilities, social spaces and amenities.
A number of other projects will commence or be completed in 2018, including:
- new two-storey relocatable building to replace two existing buildings
- sub-schools hub development in the Global Citizenship Centre
- new locker bays
- ongoing landscaping to develop student social and outdoor learning spaces
- ongoing classroom painting.
As a way to cater for the strong demand from both our students and the Northcote community for more quality sporting facilities, our Campus Masterplan also includes plans and costs for The Stadium – a new sports education centre with basketball and/or netball courts, a community store, change room and teaching spaces.
For more detail about the project, see business case and feasability study.
To find out more or to register your interest in becoming a partner on this exciting project, email email@example.com.