Our school is located in the inner-city with easy access to the city and Merri Creek. Our current facilities include a full gym, library and learning spaces that cater for contemporary learning and our diverse curriculum and co-curriculum offerings.
We have access to Merri Park and oval, which is maintained by the City of Darebin. Through various community partnerships, we also share sporting facilities, including being part of the Inner City Netball Program.
Our Campus Masterplan was developed in 2017 in consultation with the school community. The plan outlines a number of redevelopment and improvement projects, each addressing different issues and providing benefits to students and staff.
The vision is to create a network of specialist learning hubs linking to gathering places, gardens and recreation areas opening onto Merri Park. Well-designed buildings and revitalised landscapes will cater for diverse activities within and beyond the school.
The Victorian Government is helping us realise this vision by providing partial funds for some new buildings and spaces at the school, and we are pursuing additional funding for these and future projects.
We also rely on our community to realise this masterplan with tax deductible donations to our Northcote Thrive Fund.
There are six proposed stages for the Campus Masterplan:
- Stage 1: New STEM centre and canteen hub
- Stage 2: New library and Student Services hub and hall
- Stage 3: Refurbish main building, liberal arts and administration areas
- Stage 4: New gym and health and wellbeing precinct
- Stage 5: Redesign front of school plaza and realign relocatable classrooms
- Stage 6: Refurbish art and design precinct
Completed in 2020-2021
The COVID-19 pandemic impacted on our planning and build of new projects, however, a number of smaller projects were completed in 2020/2021, including:
- new bike parking
- an expanded deck and dining area near the canteen
- increased shade and seating for students
Completed in 2019
A focus of 2018 was the building of a new Performing Arts Centre. Funded by the Victorian Government ($4.5m) and Northcote High School (~$1,000,000). This new space accommodates teaching and learning areas for the Music School and Drama and Theatre Studies, plus associated planning and support facilities, social spaces, and a senior study centre. Major works were undertaken during 2018, and it was completed during term 1, 2019. The building was officially opened on April 24, with Minister for Education Hon. James Merlino MP, Kat Theophanous MP, and Ged Kearney MP in attendance. The completion of the Performing Arts Centre was also celebrated at a Community Opening on Tuesday 18th June.
This space includes a 155 seat, Black Box Theatre that we will soon be opening up to outside hirers.
Completed in 2018
2018 saw the completion of a number of significant projects, including:
- new two-storey relocatable building replacing existing buildings
- sub-school hub development in the Global Citizenship Centre
- new locker bays
- ongoing landscaping to develop student social and outdoor learning spaces
- ongoing classroom painting
- carpeting in M5 and M6
- completion of 2 netball courts (funded by Darebin Council and Netball Victoria)
- installation of LED Lights
- upgrade to CCTV Cameras
- completion of significant maintenance to Building B to secure the west wall and floor
- external paintworks on our original main building
As a way to cater for the strong demand from both our students and the Northcote community for more quality sporting facilities, our Campus Masterplan also includes plans and costs for The Stadium – a new sports education centre with basketball and/or netball courts, a community store, change room and teaching spaces.
For more detail about the project, see business case and feasability study.
To find out more or to register your interest in becoming a partner on this exciting project, email email@example.com.
We are advocating for capital works funding for Stage 1 and 2 of the Masterplan. A new library will increase the space available, and make it a more modern and welcoming environment. Our plans include the creation of a community presentation area with tiered seating, small study nooks and quiet as well as social and collaborative spaces.
Funds raised through the Northcote Thrive – Inspire fund – will assist in co-contributing to the Masterplan redevelopment.