Placement priority order
Students applying for a place at Northcote High School are enrolled in the following priority order, as per the Department of Education and Training Placement Policy:
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school.
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent residence who are attending the school at the same time.
- Where the Regional Director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest the school. (Note: this does not apply to Northcote High School in 2020.)
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds.
- All other students in order of closeness of their home to Northcote High School.
- In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.
Designated neighbourhood school (zone)
The zone for Northcote High School is the geographic area served by the school.
Your designated neighbourhood school is the government school nearest to the student’s home (permanent residence), measured in a straight line, door-to-door from home to school.
Is Northcote High School your nearest government school?
The best way to find out if your home is in the Northcote High School zone is to check the Department of Education school zone map at findmyschool.vic.gov.au. If you have questions, please contact our Enrolments Officer on 03 9488 2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The student must live permanently with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) at this residence. A permanent residence does not include:
- staying with a relative or friend
- owning a business in the area
- financial interest in a property in the area.
All families applying under the designated neighbourhood school category (Placement Priority 1) are required to demonstrate permanent residency with the following evidence.
Original or certified copies of:
- Rental agreements or unconditional contracts of sale, and
- A copy of two of the following documents:
- electoral enrolment confirmation
- council rates notice
- other official documentation that demonstrates permanent residency at the address, such as a driver licence or Health Care Card.
Documents must show the same address and parent’s or carer’s name as recorded on the enrolment application form.
We check the accuracy of all documentation and carry out due diligence to verify application information, in accordance with the Department of Education Permanent Address Guidelines.
The school enrols siblings in accordance with the placement priorities outlined above.
There are sometimes a limited number of places available for students to apply for on curriculum grounds.
To apply, you are required to demonstrate that a specific curriculum program at Northcote High School is not available at your closest government school, and why this is vital for the student’s educational needs.
For more information on how to apply on curriculum grounds, see Enrol Year 7.
The process and deadlines for appeals when applying to Year 7 are set out in the North-Western Victoria Region placement process. If your child doesn’t receive an offer for a place at Northcote High School, you can request a review of the decision in writing to:
- Principal, Northcote High School, St George’s Road, Northcote VIC 3070
The review will be conducted by the Northcote High School Placement Committee. The review can only be considered on the grounds that the selection criteria, as above, were not appropriately applied, or that the evidence presented was not appropriately considered.
If the committee cannot resolve the appeal, it can be referred to the Regional Director (North Western Victoria Region).
Northcote High School needs to collect your personal information to establish that you live within the school’s zone. Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisation without your consent, or unless authorised or required by law. Copies of any documents you provide to establish your permanent residence are not retained. If you choose not to provide some or all of the information asked for, we may not be able to enrol your child at Northcote High School.
If you have any questions about enrolment, contact our Enrolments Officer on 03 9488 2300 or email@example.com.
For more information about the placement policy, see Department of Education and Training.